Marble Corner Salon
The colour gold and red marble dominate the corner salon that was redesigned in 1947. (© BPD/imb)
A door from the Congress Hall opens into the Marble Corner Salon that was also severely damaged during the war. The architect Oswald Haerdtl, who was responsible for the entire restoration of the Federal Chancellery, was allowed to redesign this room after 1945. He combined red marble with gilded metal, the first of which gave the salon its new name.
The version by Sergius Pauser caused a scandal. (© BPD/imb)
With two pictures of the signing of the State Treaty and the Dollfuss memorial, this room impressively reflects Austria’s more recent history. The less well-known picture was the work of the Austrian painter Sergius Pauser (1896–1970) and caused a scandal. Only the second version by Robert Fuchs (1896–1981) reflected contemporary taste and the dignity of the occasion.
The Signing of the Austrian State Treaty in the Upper Belvedere in 1955 by Robert Fuchs. Seated at the table: Leopold Figl (1902–1965), John Foster Dulles (1888–1959, USA), Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Molotov (1890-1986, Soviet Union), Harold Macmillan (1894 – 1986, Great Britain) und Antoine Pinay (1891 – 1994, France). Standing behind them: Julius Raab (1891–1964), Adolf Schärf (1890–1965), Bruno Kreisky (1911–1990). On the far right stands Rudolf Kirchschläger (1915–2000) who later became the Federal President. (© BPD/imb)
The Dollfuss commemorative plaque was set into the floor when the room was redesigned by Haerdtl. It commemorates Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuss (1892–1934), who was murdered in this room on 25 July 1934 during an attempted Nazi coup (see also: The First Republic).
The Dollfuss Memorial in the Marble Corner Salon (© BPD/imb)
Continue to the Historic Chancellor’s Room