The Nazi Regime
The Yellow Salon, the Chancellor's Office before its destruction in 1944. (© BPD)
After the annexation of Austria, (the Anschluss) the occupying forces deliberately scaled down the importance of the building on Ballhausplatz and Josef Bürckel (1895–1944), Reichskommissar for the Reunification of Austria with the German Reich, moved his offices to the parliament building. This situation persisted until July 1940, when Gauleiter Baldur von Schirach (1907 – 1974) moved into the Federal Chancellery. On 10 September 1944 the Federal Chancellery was badly damaged in a bombing raid and the right wing of the building almost completely destroyed.
The severely damaged Federal Chancellery seen from Schauflergasse. (© BPD)
The Declaration of Independence by the Provisional Government on 27 April 1945 ushered in a new era for the building on Ballhausplatz. Shortly after the final hostilities of World War II had ceased, a small, hand-written note was attached to the doorway of the severely damaged building, calling on all former civil servants to report for duty.
Commemorative plaque at the main staircase
(© Stefan Ritter)
The Second Republic now follows