Welcome to the topic "Women and Equality" of the Federal Minister for Women and the Civil Service
© Astrid Knie
As we are struggling to safeguard jobs, revive the economy and cope with the financial crisis, some people believe that this is not the time to talk about equal opportunities for women and gender politics in general. In fact, the opposite is true. It is women who bear the brunt of the negative impact caused by difficult economic conditions. I think that active labour market policies are currently the best means of supporting women. Moreover, we need further offers to help them reconcile job and family.
Right now it is all the more important to give women a strong voice and to represent the concerns of all women on the political level to the best of our ability. All women should be given the opportunity to lead emancipated and independent lives - in keeping with their individual needs and life goals.
These web pages are designed to give an overview of relevant topics concerning politics for women and equality in English.
Continuously updated information in detail as well as current information on political initiatives and the focal points of my area of responsibility is provided in the website in German: .
Gabriele Heinisch-Hosek, Federal Minister for Women and the Civil Service
Spheres of activities in Division II Women and Gender Equality
- Department 1: Gender equality policies and legal matters
- Department 2: Public relations, public management, promotion of women's projects
- Department 3: Equal treatment in the private and public sectors
- Department 4: Violence against women and women-specific legislation
- Department 5: Women's service, budgetary and parliamentary coordination
- Department 6: Socio-economic equality, international and EU affairs
Contact and further information of each department are provided in the web pages in German: .